Chamber Announces District 1 Business Council Steering Committee MembersAugust 9th, 2016 by gainesvillechamber
The Gainesville Area Chamber of Commerce this morning announced the members of the Steering Committee for its recently launched District 1 Business Council . The Steering Committee, co-chaired by City of Gainesville District 1 Commissioner Charles Goston and restaurateur Omar Oselimo, will guide the District 1 Business Council’s efforts to enhance economic opportunity in the district. Key areas of focus for the Business Council will include economic development, capital investment, business growth, leadership development, and more. The District 1 Business Council is open to all businesses owned or operated in District 1, and will serve as a targeted forum for leveraging assets and addressing challenges specific to business growth in the district.
“This Council is the Chamber Board’s contribution to an ongoing conversation about attracting new economic activity and opportunity to District 1,” said Adrian S. Taylor, the Chamber’s Vice President of Business Development and Operations. “Additionally, the Chamber also hopes the Council’s existence will serve to raise awareness about businesses that are already operating in District 1.”
Steering Committee Members include:
- Co-Chair: Honorable Charles Goston, Commissioner, City of Gainesville District 1
- Co-Chair: Omar Oselimo, Owner, Southern Charm Kitchen, Reggae Shack and the Twisted Peacock
- Jack Ryals, Director of Jackson Stoneworks
- Jennifer Denault, Chief Operating Officer of the Cade Museum for Creativity and Innovation
- Bill Dorman, Director, GTEC
- Kyle Gold, Owner, Alter Ego Fitness
- Rodney Long, Founder, African American Accountability Alliance
- Karen McInerney, Sales Associate for Community Waste Service Inc.
- Kurt Morauer, President, Targeted Training Solutions
- Mike Powell, Owner of Mike Powell and Associates, LLC
- Scorpio Mosely, Market Manager for Humana MarketPOINT
- Scott Schroeder, Vice President of Operations for Liquid Creative Studio
- McArthur Shelton, Owner, Shelton Construction Company
- Shariq Siraj, President, StorterChilds Printing Company
“Today’s announcement signifies a unity of purpose around ensuring that District 1 businesses that want to have a voice are at the table as the Chamber works to make Gainesville a global business and lifestyle destination,” said City of Gainesville District 1 Commissioner Charles Goston, whose key priorities have centered around increasing economic growth and opportunity for District 1 citizens and businesses. “I commend the Steering Committee members for their commitment to advancing this effort to move forward together toward opportunity.”
“Many businesses don’t know about all of the programs offered in Gainesville to help them succeed,” said Business Council Co-Chair Omar Oselimo. “As the Council works to achieve the overarching goal of creating new economic opportunities in District 1, we must also be vigilant about connecting District 1 businesses to existing resources, which can lead to transformational levels of success.”
The Gainesville Area Chamber of Commerce’s Board of Directors’ intent in creating the District 1 Business Council is to increase business community presence behind existing efforts to improve opportunities in District 1, such as those of the Community Redevelopment Agency, the City of Gainesville EEO, the University of Florida, Santa Fe College, the Cade Museum for Creativity and Innovation, the African American Accountability Alliance, the Alachua County Chapter of the NAACP, and others. The Chamber plans to launch future Business Councils in additional city districts.